Wines of Germany is marking March 13th as the official birthday of Riesling in honor of the first documented evidence of the grape, from the cellar log of Count Katzenelnbogen near the Rheingau region on March 13, 1435.
Please join us in celebrating over 500 years of the versatile and unique varietal with a Riesling toast, and by sharing photos, tasting notes, and favorite Riesling memories with the hashtag #RieslingBirthday on social media.
What’s to love about Riesling?
- Unparalleled food-pairing affinity
- Unique expression of terroir makes it the most versatile grape in the world
- Able to produce all styles from bone dry to lusciously sweet, and perfect for producing sparkling wine (Sekt)
- Impressive aging potential
- Known for its electric acidity and balance of bright fruit flavors
There is certainly a lot to celebrate!
Germany has a deep history of winemaking, dating back before 50 BC, and Riesling has long been considered Germany’s most celebrated grape.
Festivities for Riesling Birthday will take place on a global scale this year, from North America to the Netherlands to China and Japan. We invite you to partake at home or your local wine bar, and hope you’ll join the #RieslingBirthday party by enjoying a glass – or two – of your favorite German bottle.
Don’t forget to follow and tag @GermanWineUSA to share all the fun!